|Measure the acidity (pH) of your Sushi Rice within 30 minutes of acidification (mixing the cooked rice and vinegar solution).|
- Make a rice slurry by gathering a ¼ cup sample of the cooked, acidified rice taken from various locations in the batch and add ¾ cup of distilled water in a clear plastic or metal blend cup.
- Blend the slurry (mixture) for approximately 20 seconds to create a thorough mix.
- Take a strip/piece of pH paper and hold between index finger and thumb.
- Dip the test strip into the liquid portion of the slurry for 1-2 seconds.
- Shake off excess liquid and match color of pad to color chart provided with test strips.
- Sushi Rice with an initial pH greater than 4.6 should be re-acidified with more vinegar solution and rechecked to assure a targeted pH of 4.1.
- Record the pH measurements in a pH log.
from Micro Essential Laboratory Inc.